Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Logging in running miles

So--since I missed my long run on Sunday because Dave and I finally decided to dedicate a day to working on our house, I wanted /needed to get in mileage for my run. I skipped my track workout yesterday and did my long run and I think it was a smart move. I really can't afford to miss ANY long workouts these days. I'm not really worried about passing out in the swim or not finishing the swim, and I think I can hack the bike mileage---since I seem to feel pretty good on my long rides....the run is another story. If it isn't my stomach that is rumbling, my knees hurt, or my calf is tight, or I can't get my heart rate up enough so then I get annoyed because I know i'm running slow, or I start to doubt myself, and a million other things!

Yesterday, I started my run when it was plenty cool out, I was hydrated and well fed, and other than the fact that I was moving slow, I ran 16 miles (2.5 hours), I was hoping to run 17 miles which would have me under a 9:00 minute pace. Of course I couldn't hack that and I ended up running a 9:22 pace. Ugh. But you know what, my biggest concern and one of the reasons I didn't run on Sunday is because during my last race, at mile 13 of the run, my knees practically locked and they felt like someone was jabbing me with a knife. So--I was worried yesterday about even going over 13. I did it! Relatively pain free, my left calf was very tight, but that is simple stretching etc---otherwise I did well and I realized that I love running at dusk more than i'll ever love running at dawn =0. Something about being able to go home and eat dinner rather than go home and shower and go to work (if I ran in the morning). And, it's a good mental image for Ironman because i'm sure once I start the run, it will in fact, be dusk! In fact, it pretty much mimicks my training that I like, a morning swim, afternoon ride and an evening run. Today i'm going to do a long swim 90 minutes and try to get in a long ride. Technically today is supposed to be a 4.5 hour ride, but that isn't feasible with my work schedule today. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW - each time I read this I am amazed at how hard you are working for this! Too bad we never studied this hard in school - ha! Question - how many hours do you anticipate the "real thing" taking start to finish? I'm so intrigued by this. Love ya! Lauren