Saturday, March 13, 2010

Yes you CAN!

I just got back from five days in Colorado visiting my family and suffering through an 11 mile run at altitude.  Denver needs more air....seriously.  It was a terrific visit, my mom is so much more mobile now and able to get around sometimes unassisted, I left this visit much more assured of her progress.  It's difficult to see your parents struggle and you just want to help alleviate stress or pain, but I realize just by keeping my mom company does wonders!  We threw her a surprise birthday party while I was out there and she was so overwhelmed and excited.....my mom is definitely the most positive person I know and this surgery has tried even her own patience. 

I said to her at one point "LOOK! you're standing up by yourself," and it took her a minute and she was like "You're right!"...I tried to point out little things along the way so she could remind herself of the amazing progress she was making.  Last time I was out there she had a difficult time moving even with a walker and now she's doing stairs, going out with friends and slowly coming back to her usual "social self." 

I said to her, "I know you want to just go out there and walk....but, you need to give yourself credit for the things you ARE doing today and not the things that you CAN'T DO."..seems i'm good at giving advice but not very good at taking it myself.  I had a mini tantrum last week about just not being able to finish full workouts and being completely bewildered that I seemingly have ALL this time during the day, but can't seem to get in a workout....due to a nap, or missed nap, or what not.  I wouldn't change it for the world---really....but, I need to let go of my "type-A-will-not-miss-training-ever" personality.  My priorities are very different now and I love my time with Soren, I just need to be more gentle on myself when it comes to being unable to fit in a training session.

I'm working on taking my own advice.

This'll be a short blog post....I did the St. Patty's Day 10K this morning and for me, I went in with just trying to "let it all fly," and not get so stuck on "worrying about running out of gas," and I am super super happy with how I did!  Race report to follow soon....off to put my feet up!  

5 comments:

ADC said...

I am so glad to hear that your Mum is making great progress - excellent news.
Well done on this morning's race. Can't wait to read the race report.

Marit C-L said...

Hooray - so so happy that your Mom is doing better! That is GREAT news!

AND yes about being kinder-and-gentler-to-ourselves...that's tough to learn how to do...but life is much easier when we accept the things we can and can't change. I KNOW you wanted to get in all the workouts....and in the long term you will be JUST FINE! Like I said before - this is one of the reasons why you have a coach...and Amanda totally gets you and understands! No worries!

So glad that you're back in town - yea! WE'll have to meet up!!!!!!!

oh - congrats on the 10k! Those are tough!!!

jessithompson said...

Great news about your mom... congrats on the race!

Trigirlpink said...

Great news about your mom!

goSonja said...

I love your blog! You are such a good writer! Very cool that you are coached by Amanda! Your little boy is adorable too. You seem to be adjusting to mommy/triathlete mode very easily, props to you girl!