Friday, December 24, 2010

2010....a year to be grateful for!

2010 a year of growth for me, figuring out how to balance being a mom with moving across the country,  meeting new people, settling in and trying to find some time for myself with training and racing. Overall I give myself an A.....because even when I didn't feel successful at time for myself or being so agreeable with moving, I always felt like I had my "A-game" for Soren....and really, as long as i'm there for him, I get an A! 

Actually though, my year was pretty awesome in a lot of ways, for racing....it was a challenge--my first race back was the Carlsbad Half Marathon in January...Soren was barely five months old..looking back, I was nuts--all the times I ran totally sleep deprived and hungry, or vice versa =0.....but, I wanted to, because being a mom to Soren is such a 110% full time job, I needed to find "me" in all of that, Soren's needs were being met, but I needed to meet some "individual-me" needs as well. Does that make any sense? Anyway, so the Carlsbad Half Marathon came, then I did the St. Patricks' Day 10k, and then the Carlsbad 5000, and then the Rock N Roll Marathon, San Diego International Triathlon and then wrapped up the year with Vineman 70.3.  Wow. I look back now and i'm so proud of myself....but I also realized I think I put a lot on myself to complete all my workouts or I committed myself to races that I may not have realistically had time to train for (given Soren's schedule at the time of two naps a day, and Dave's 3rd year residency hours)......it was hard.  But, I did it....

Can't tell you how many times I was pulled out of the pool because Soren was upset at the childcare center, or I would run even faster because it was time to go home for a feeding (I nursed up until two weeks shy of his first birthday), or, I think I had been up a few times in the middle of the night, but I still got out there. My rationale:  even if I started a workout, or I got *something* in, it was a success....I fit in my "me" time around Soren and that was the way I wanted it and he was/is my priority...but, I wanted time for myself as well! 


And this year was just about being grateful to race and having the opportunity to say "hey, i'm healthy enough to race and yeah, I have a little guy, but i'm going to make this work because it's important to me."  It didn't matter how fast I went or what place I finished in, I just wanted ....to race.  Sure, a little part of me was "oh man" when I saw I finished 40 minutes slower at Vineman 70.3 than the last time I raced, but you know, it was  an absolutely gorgeous weekend, I had a BLAST racing the course and hanging out with Dave and Soren, it was a great family vacation for us!

2011.....i'm taking it a bit easier.....olympic distance races and if my running continues to go well, maybe a super late season marathon...we'll see.....I think this will be a good way to keep myself sane and still race!!!


Happy Holiday's from our family to yours......take time to appreciate the moments with your family and friends.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope we can race together somewhere in 2011!! All you have learned and experienced this year WILL be of good use!

ADC said...

Mer, you had such an amazing 2010. You were a true inspiration. Merry Christmas and Happy 2011.

Anthony said...

Wow, sounds like a great 2010. Hope you have an equally great 2011.