Saturday, December 1, 2007

Sherpa'ing from Sacramento...

As I type this my husband and brother-in-law (Jeff) are sleeping....my job as a sherpa is to be quiet and suppress all hunger while these two rest up for what I think is going to be a cold day in hell tomorrow when they race the California International Marathon. Temperatures are supposed to be in the 30's.....yay for cold sherpa'ing!

Dave ran it last year and had a rather um, well, interesting race, he missed qualifying for Boston by a minute, mostly due to the fact that he had indulged in a little too much fiber the day before and that's all i'll say about that, since I try to keep my blog family friendly to some extent (hi mom!). =0.

Anyway---Jeff, is attempting to qualify for the Boston Marathon tomorrow and I really really really really hope he does it. Primarily because he deserves it more than anyone I know--he ran cross country for Colorado State, and he manages to fit in his runs whether they are at work, or at 11:30 p.m. at night, while his 3 children, all under the age of 4 are sleeping. Jeff ran an impressive marathon in Boise in October, and we're keeping our fingers crossed that he has a great day tomorrow, whether he qualifies or not.....I just hope he is "stomach-issue" free. This is Dave and Jeff's 3rd marathon they've done together, they're not running together tomorrow, but they'll be probably right near each other in terms of time! Hmm, ok, it's 5:30, p.m., they started sleeping at 3:00...this is a VERY long time for me to be quiet.

I um, did nothing today in terms of working out, I got on a plane, walked around Sacramento and.....had a salad and i'm looking forward to dinner at California Pizza Kitchen, we try to keep dinner predictable if we're out of town, I wish we could try the Mexican joint around the corner, but I think these two sleeping guys would kill me!

I totally recommend this race to anyone: it's smaller, about 2000 people, technical t-shirts (none of that cotton crap they give out at the rock n roll marathons), TOTALLY super awesome, nice people up in northern california, great, sleepy little town in sacramento....if you can weather the weather =0, you'll be rewarded with 26.2 miles of "downhill" running from Folsom to Sacramento (it's a point to point race obviously). Oh yeah, so it's a Boston Qualifier as well......cheers to all! Have a great weekend!

Anyway, shameless plug for the race =0.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I tried to send a message but alas must have been lost. I'm glad the sherpa duties went well and that Dave had a good day. I know Jeff will qualify in the next event. Send him our best. He's amazing, being able to stay on top of the job, being a great Dad and staying on top of training too.

John is off to Orange to hang out with Bella for a few days while Brie is on a business trip.

I had a couple of yoga questions but they seem to have slipped my mind ... must be because they involve stretching and exercise. Have a great day.

Love .. Bonnie